Before you set up your Oculus Rift, check to make sure the following things are up to date:
Whenever there’s an update for your Rift, you’ll be able to download it in your settings.
To check updates for your Rift:
- Open the Oculus app on your PC computer
- Select Library from the left menu
- Select the Updates tab to check for updates
Drivers enable your graphics card hardware to communicate with your computer. Staying up-to-date with the latest drivers available for your graphics card is needed for a smooth experience with Oculus Rift.
To check updates for your graphics card:
NVIDIA Graphics Card Updates
There are two ways to download and install the latest drivers for your NVIDIA graphics card:
- Install updates through GeForce Experience:
- Navigate to your system tray and click the NVIDIA icon.
- Select Open NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
- Select the Drivers tab, then click Check for updates.
- If new drivers are detected, select download.
- Select Express Installation
- Wait for the download to complete and install the 64-bit graphics card drivers.
- Download the latest drivers from the GeForce website directly:
- Click here to scan for the latest drivers available for your graphics card.
AMD Graphics Card Updates
There are two ways to download and install the latest drivers for your AMD graphics card:
- Install updates through AMD Radeon Settings:
- Right click on your desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings. (If you do not see AMD Radeon Settings, select AMD Catalyst Control Center).
- Select Information on the menu.
- Select Software Update.
- Select Check for updates now.
- Download and install the latest graphics card drivers (64-bit drivers are required).
- Download the latest drivers from AMD's website directly:
- Click here to get the latest drivers available for your graphics card.
Windows and DirectX
To use your Rift, your computer must be running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit or newer with the latest version of DirectX installed.
To learn more about keeping your computer up to date, visit Microsoft’s website.
USB driver updates should be included with Windows updates, but you may need to install updates directly from your manufacturer’s website: